Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Am proud to be an Indian....

As long as DUDES such as Manmohan Singh continue to exist...

this is by far the best speech delivered by an Indian politician...
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/3265909.cms

"...I have often said that I am a politician by accident. I have held many diverse responsibilities. I have been a teacher, I have been an official of the Government of India, I have been a member of this greatest of Parliaments, but I have never forgotten my life as a young boy in a distant village.

Every day that I have been Prime Minister of India I have tried to remember that the first ten years of my life were spent in a village with no drinking water supply, no electricity, no hospital, no roads and nothing that we today associate with modern living. I had to walk miles to school, I had to study in the dim light of a kerosene oil lamp. This nation gave me the opportunity to ensure that such would not be the life of our children in the foreseeable future.

Sir, my conscience is clear that on every day that I have occupied this high office, I have tried to fulfill the dream of that young boy from that distant village..."

4 comments:

Debashis said...

Hi Ankur,

The part of the speech you quoted is one aspect of Dr. Singh and at a later part of life everybody becomes philosophical and day dream and they don't mind expressing it in public.
But the other side of the coin, he is not very ambitious, has small aims - why I say so - His 4 years in the office is spent doing nothing, he hasn't taken any strong decisions that can influence the country and it's way of life.

In such a great capacity an intellectual, highly educated person like Dr. Singh could have done a great many things, unfortunately Dr. Singh did nothing. And I am sure, future is not going to give him a second chance.

Anyways, this I believe is my first comment in your blog, I do read yours regularly.

I did follow secondshaadi.com campaign and of couse your marriage.
Good Luck and keep going.

Cheers
Debashis

ankur said...

Hey Debashis:

I would disagree with some of your views. I dont personally think that he did a bad job...given how the left at all times would be anti liberal reforms. it will be interesting to see how the rest of the tenure pans out. I am guessing that the reforms will be more meaningful and much faster. Maybe that will give us a clue of his true capability.

Thanks for following the blog...treasure your readership...

Unknown said...

Hi,

Came to your blog via some pictures you had posted. I was wondering if we could have a quick chat (email/phone) reg. your view on the mgmt. cons. space in the Indian subcontinent. Would greatly appreciate your time.
Thanks

ankur said...

Sure Ananth. Send me an email on warikoo at gmail dot com